Can you believe we’ve already come to the end of 2021? The holiday season is fast approaching, and after yet another pandemic-addled year, we are more than ready to spread some holiday cheer! Read on to find out how you can shop small for all your gifting needs.
For Your Friend That Loves Fitness
- Do you have a loved one who loves Pilates? Give the gift of a core-strengthening class with District Pilates! New Client packages start at $40 for 2 classes, or $115 for 5 classes.
- Searching for the perfect gift for your health-conscious friend? BodyMassGym has you covered! Book your friend to a private personal training session, treat them to a personalized nutrition plan with coaching, or snag a gift card and let them choose!
- Whether you have a buddy who’s always on the go or another who’s a HIIT fanatic, SWEAT DC has a range of programs to gift this holiday season! Learn more about SWEAT DC’s virtual classes, 1:1 training, and intro offers here.
- Gift your loved one a Capoeira lesson with the Brazilian-American Cultural Institute for just $19! Book a drop-in class, or score a discounted deal when you purchase a 10-class pass.
- Give a gift that benefits the body and mind with Yoga District! With virtual, in-person, and outdoor classes, your friend is sure to achieve inner peace no matter their location.
- The best kind of workout is the one where you also get to unwind from the stress of day-to-day life. Yoga Heights gift cards are sure to make every yogi’s holiday bright!
For The Musician In Your Life
- Know someone who’s been itching to learn a new instrument? Gift them personally-tailored virtual voice, guitar, or piano lessons with Cardon Studios!
- Treat the jazz enthusiast in your life to an evening at Reliable Tavern. The bar’s inventive cocktails and piping hot kolaches are the perfect pairing for a night of local music. Gift Certificates are available via email, and make sure to Keep an eye on Reliable Tavern’s Instagram for upcoming jazz and comedy shows!
- Have an aspiring audio engineer or recording artist in your midst? Gift a recording session or audio engineering classes at Listen Vision Recording Studios!
For Your Thespian Friend
- Give the Spanish-speaking theater-lover in your life the opportunity to explore Spanish poetry in an 8 session tribute to the Spanish language with Teatro de la Luna. The course takes place virtually via Zoom, culminating in a final presentation which will be broadcast for friends and family to enjoy! This particular program is in Spanish only.
- Spend an evening with some of the District’s best storytellers when you purchase a ticket to Story District’s Top Shelf show on December 18th at the Lincoln Theater. Tickets range from $25-$35 + fees.
For The Budding Stylist
- From makeup to hair extensions, accessories, and more, Georgia Beauty Supply is your one-stop shop for all things beauty. Shop for gifts in-person, 7 days a week at 3659 Georgia Ave NW.
- Head over to Sense (or shop online!) for a carefully curated selection of organic hair and styling products.
For Your Favorite Foodie
- Pantry’s market has a wealth of gift options from steaming baskets to cookbooks, cooking ingredients, and more! Give the gift of traditional Thai cooking at home with a Pantry recipe card + ingredients from their marketplace, or opt for a more flexible gift like a Pantry gift card which can be used for in-person dining, market purchases, or takeout.
- A Call Your Mother Gift Card can get you way more than just bagels! Stock up on some CYM swag like playing cards, cheeky tees, coffee mugs, and more. (Although, we wouldn’t blame you if you spent the whole thing on their delectable bagel sandwiches!)
- Your vegan friends will be drooling when they open their gift card to NuVegan! The plant-based soul food staple has been a neighborhood favorite for nearly a decade, with the NuVegan Food Truck ranking in one of the top spots on USA Today’s Best DC Area Food Trucks list of 2014.
- A gift card to Tabla is the perfect gift for your foodie friend who wants to stay at home. Since Tabla’s opening in 2020, they’ve received rave reviews in the press for their bake-at-home khinkali takeout special.
For The Experience-Seeker
- Interested in giving an experience rather than a physical gift? Hook Hall has a range of activities that are sure to do the trick! Gift Card funds can be allocated to cabana rentals, Hook Hall’s exclusive Cocktail Club experience, Academy Wine Tasting experience, and more.
- Get your friends and family moving and grooving with Salsa With Silvia this holiday season. Score Silvia’s stellar New Student rate for just $80 for the first month of classes, or book private lessons for a one-on-one class or group experience.
- Take your canna-buddy on a tour of the History of Cannabis at The History of Cannabis Museum on Georgia Ave. Tickets are $10.
For Your Holiday Party Host
- Looking for something to bring along to your next holiday party? Grab a bottle of wine and a Jamaican dish at Iacovelli Cafe & Liquor!
- Peruse over 300 herbs and spices on Blue Nile Botanicals’ online shop! From cooking ingredients to essential oils, Blue Nile Botanicals has something for everyone.
- Midlands’ boozy mulled ciders and Irish coffees make the beer garden cozy all winter long! Say “Thanks for having us!” and treat your host to a drink (or three!) with a gift card. Order yours by emailing email@example.com
- Sankofa has been a gifting go-to for many people since its opening in 1998. The popular bookstore and coffee shop boasts books for all ages, gift cards, handmade jewelry, and more!
For Your Very Best Friend
Subscriptions are the gifts that keep giving! Treat your bestie to a year’s worth of awesomeness with these hyper-local subscription services.
- Harrar Coffee & Roastery – Shop a range of locally roasted Ethiopian coffee beans, and save up to 15% when you order through their subscription service! Order frequency and length are up to you.
- Doubles – Join Doubles’ Coffee Director, Tito Peña, in trying coffees from local and national roasters. The monthly coffee subscription includes baked goods from Velvel Breads or local brews from the Other Half Brewing, or both for an additional fee!
- Sonny’s Pizza/No Kisses – Is there any combo more classic that pizza and wine? Indulge in exclusive bottles, free pizza, wine tastings, delivery and even more perks when you sign up for Sonny’s Natural Wine & Pizza Club!
- Qualia Coffee – Qualia Coffee is known for its extensive selection of single-origin coffee beans, and now you can try out their roaster’s choice of beans with a coffee subscription! Score two bags of freshly roasted single-origin beans every 1-2 weeks depending on your subscription tier.
Don’t forget to treat yourself to a little something this holiday season as well! You deserve a spa day at any of these awesome salons along Georgia Ave.
- Mercy Beauty call (202) 821-5233
- Columbia Threading call (202) 588-8128
- Fantasy Nails call (202) 882-2090
- The Avenue Barber call (202) 808-2915
- Studio Chique call (202) 722-2770
- Sense Hair Salon & Healing Studio call (202) 290-3113
- LA Nails call (202) 545-8844
- Spruill’s Bluebird Barber call (202) 629-4990
- Margueritte Hair Braiding call (202) 462-4556
- Mohammed’s Barber Shop call (202) 882-1125
- Beau Nails call (202) 882-2911
- Renee Beauty by Boddies call (202) 726-6066 or (202) 971-9021
- African Hair Braiding by Fatu call (202) 291-1582
- Le Chic Salon & Spa call (202) 735-0091
- Envy Nails call (202) 244-1440
- Collage Dominican Hair Salon call (202) 291-0899
- African Braiding Center call (202)723-7336